Master of Arts Preparatory Program Scholarships
RYI is delighted to offer a limited number of merit- and need-based scholarships for MA Preparatory students each year. The MA Preparatory Scholarships are for new students who are applying to study in the MA Preparatory Program, and not for existing MA Preparatory students (existing students can apply for the merit-based scholarship).
The MA Preparatory Scholarships are particularly for students who are interested in studying in the MA Buddhist Studies and MA Textual Translation and Interpretation (TTIP) programs. Scholarships will be for one year only. The value of each award is 50% of the applicable tuition fee. Applications will be accepted until April 15 and awards will be announced on April 30.
Eligibility: who can apply?
In order to apply for a merit- and need-based scholarship, a student must:
- have applied for the MA Preparatory program.
- be committed to progressing to study in either the MA Buddhist Studies or the MA TTIP at RYI.
- have a higher secondary school transcript (through grade 12). Students from Nepali high schools should have a minimum score of second division/45 percent and a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 3.0 on a four point scale.
- have excellent English language skills. Applicants whose native language is not English and who do not have a bachelor’s degree from a university in an English-speaking country must have a TOEFL score of at least 575, a score of 90 on the iBT, CEF/CERF/GeR level in English is C1 or higher, or IELTS score of at least 6.5 and no score lower than 6.0 on any one band.
- be willing to enroll in, and attend, classes earning at least twelve credits in the semester for which the award is granted. (Note: failure to pass any class during the fall semester will render a student ineligible for the award in the spring.)
- need to be on campus to join the MA Preparatory program.
To apply for the merit and need based scholarship, please complete and submit the application form found here.
Timing and Award Decisions
Applications from eligible students are accepted from February 6, 2023, to March 31, 2023.
Decisions related to scholarship awards will be notified to applicants by April 14, 2023.
As a condition of receiving a scholarship, successful applicants are required to prepare one 250-word article with suitable images per semester, two in total per year, for publishing on RYI’s Student Blog.