Summer Intensive Program
8-Week Courses from June 12 – August 8, 2024
On Campus and Online
This program is for students who are looking for rigorous language immersion courses or a Buddhist studies intensive.
Students complete the equivalent of two academic semesters in eight weeks of study. Courses run Monday through Friday for four hours per day. Additional features include:
- Orientation program with introduction to Nepal
- All classes held in a traditional monastic setting near the Boudhanath Stupa
- Opportunities to meet and receive teachings from resident Buddhist teachers
- Cultural visits to ancient sites of the Kathmandu Valley
- Efficient medical referral system
- Access to full facilities of CBS campus including wireless internet access at selected campus locations, assistance from our full-time Student Services Coordinator, and on-site library facilities.
The level of intensity of the Summer Program is high. Students who successfully complete the summer courses will make great strides toward a high degree of proficiency in the language studied, and with a solid introduction to the fundamentals of the Buddhist tradition.
Application details here
“I am very happy that this year I can come to Nepal and study on campus. It was so touching for me to meet all of my Professors, Instructors, and friends after two years of studying online….I am very happy that RYI offers such great education in both classical language and Buddhist Studies.” – Trung Nguyen, a BA student
Calendar: Summer ’24 calendar TBA
The Summer courses are accredited by Kathmandu University (KU). Credits earned from the Summer courses are recognized by other universities (at their discretion). Credits earned from the Summer courses are only accepted towards a KU degree if the student is already enrolled with KU. For a list of affiliate universities see this page.
Students are also welcome to take courses on a non-credit basis.
- A good command of spoken and written English at the university level. Non-native speakers must submit proof of proficiency in the form of a TOEFL/IELTS score or personal references.
- Completion of high school or equivalent
- Students applying for intermediate and advanced language courses must present documentation of prior studies at a university or from a similarly recognized program, e.g., students applying for intermediate Tibetan must show proof of having studied beginning Tibetan.
You will find the Tuition Fee List for all programs linked on the right-hand side of the admissions page.
The language programs offer an immersive learning environment for Tibetan, Sanskrit, and Nepali languages. The Buddhist Studies program combines a practical introduction to the richness of personal practice and meditation training with an introduction to Buddhist philosophy and history.
Summer Buddhist Studies Courses
The introductory course is a full immersion into the theory and practice of Buddhism. Students are introduced to both classical and modern Buddhist scholarship and meditation training. In this way, the course offers students first-hand experience of many key aspects of Buddhist training which are otherwise rarely accessible to lay students. Read more…
For summer 2024 we are pleased to announce the addition of a second Buddhist studies course. More details will follow soon.
Summer Colloquial Tibetan Courses
The colloquial Tibetan summer program is offered at three levels: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. Completing the equivalent of two semester’s worth of coursework over the span of eight weeks, students are well on their way towards a high degree of proficiency of Tibetan in both its written and spoken forms. Read more…
Summer Classical Tibetan Courses
The Classical Tibetan summer program is offered at three levels: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. Completing the equivalent of two semester’s worth of coursework over the span of eight weeks, students are well on their way towards a high degree of proficiency in Classical Tibetan. Read more...
Summer Sanskrit Courses
The Sanskrit summer program is offered at two levels: Beginning and Intermediate. The program includes Master classes focusing on grammar according to Western pedagogical methods supplemented by Traditional Sanskrit classes which include traditional pedagogy and Sanskrit chanting. Read more…
Summer Nepali Courses
The Nepali summer program is offered at the Beginning level for students with no prior formal study of Nepali. The course features classroom lectures, drill sessions, and daily individual practice sessions with native Nepali speakers. Read more…