The Translator Training Program is intensive and demanding. Only outstanding and highly qualified students will be admitted. At a minimum, students applying to the program should have the following prerequisites:
- Higher Secondary School transcript (through Grade 12) with a minimum score of second division/45 percent
- Excellent proficiency in university-level English
- Solid grounding in Buddhist philosophy
- Excellent language-learning skills, documented by past achievements
- Excellent academic potential
- Diligence and eagerness to learn
- One year, or equivalent, of spoken Tibetan language study and one year, or equivalent, of classical Tibetan language study.
In addition, the applicant must be a practicing Buddhist. Due to the intensive nature of the program, a maximum of eight students for each program year will be accepted. Applicants should clearly describe their Tibetan language background in their applications. Applicants may also be required to take a written classical Tibetan exam, as well as written and spoken colloquial Tibetan exams, to demonstrate their levels of proficiency. Interviews in person or by phone will be conducted with eligible applicants.